Traction PowerSupply Station

Written for Spotted By Locals in Sp. Pete



This rare constructivist architectural piece (I decided not to put the whole building on the picture for you to discover it yourself fully) was to be torn down and converted into a hostel,  but citizens stood straight and now the power station is still standing.
Architects call this building “one of top 10 best constructivist buildings in Leningrad’s 20s-30s”. They even say that it looks a bit like a Kazimir Malevich piece (read more on that matter in Wikipedia in Russian).
This power station was built with than individual project and is fits so well (yet other building on the Fontanka embankment are nothing like this).
But the outside look is only one thing. The main interest is station’s historical impact.
This station is called also “Siege station”. As you probably know, there was a severe supply blockade ring around St. Pete (then Leningrad) during World War II. It gives me goosebumps to walk past this supply station because I understand again and again how hard it had been then when this station gave enough energy to support city trams in 1942. I feel so much gratitude so I decided to share this story with you.
I hadn’t read it anywhere before I stumbled upon this building on Fontanka river but I felt so much tension in the air near this station that I started digging the information and now I have this spot described for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment